© 2018 The Town of Gambo | Design & Development HydeAway Designs
A potential official historic site, Mint Brook was the birth spot of Joseph Smallwood, delivered there in a hamlet in 1900 by Anastasia Kelly, a local midwife. Mint Brook was the location of the Murphy Sawmill, a sophisticated operation that was one of the largest sawmill operations in Newfoundland and Labrador. At its peak it was turning out 50,000 board feet of lumber a day. Remnants of the mill such as the old boiler are still present and accessible. The graveyard for the community of Mint Brook, which was abandoned when the mill burned in 1907, has been restored. On the same location today the Anglican Church operates one of the busiest nature camps in the Province from early May to late October every year bringing in hundreds of adults and children from all across the Island for one and two week stays.